Nuclear
Akkuyu nuke power plant project on track: Rosatom head
- Majority shareholder Rosatom expects issue of Akkuyu NPP construction license this year, says company's head

Progress on the Akkuyu nuclear power plant (NPP) project is on track, Alexey Likhachev, director general of Russia's state atomic energy corporation Rosatom said Tuesday at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) 61st General Conference in Vienna, Austria.

"General construction works are continuing in full and we hope to get a license [for construction] this year in Turkey for the Akkuyu NPP, Likhachev said, according to Russian news agency RIA Novosti.

Rosatom plans to construct Turkey's first nuclear power plant, Akkuyu, in the country's southern province of Mersin on the Mediterranean coast.

The plant will have a capacity of 4,800 megawatts in four units and a working life of 8,000 hours per year.

In the first phase of construction, two units with a capacity of 2,400 megawatts are planned.

Construction of the plant is estimated to start in 2018. It has an operational date set for the first reactor by 2023 while the plant is expected to be up and running at full capacity by 2025.

Rosatom holds the majority share of the plant of 51 percent while the remaining 49 percent stake will be divided among a Turkish consortium of contracting conglomerates that includes Cengiz, Kolin and Kalyon.

Reporting by Ali Cura in Vienna

Writing by Huseyin Erdogan

Anadolu Agency

energy@aa.com.tr

 

 

 

20 Sep,2017
NUCLEAR NEWS